Friday, August 5, 2011

What kind of learner are you?

After taking a bit of a break from technology since summer school finished, I find myself today back exploring Google Apps in Education. (Who thinks teachers really take the summer off?!) I have been going through their online training, but as I read each of the steps, I found I was not really processing all the details. I needed to sign up and actually start manipulating the apps while reading the information. I had to read then try, read then try...and walk away...then try again. Yes, I am a visual and kinesthetic learner. After spending periods of time, I am finally beginning to understand these Apps.

This made me think about my students who have learning disabilities and how some get so easily lost in the traditional setting. It is not shocking to find that many students with learning disabilities can do okay up through the 2nd or 3rd grade. Early grades tend to focus on teaching skills more than curriculum. There is more multi-modal education worked on at these levels. However, it is when the focus switches to mainly curriculum that many falter. Students with learning disabilities need more direction and hands on time working skills than a traditional learner. They need steps micro-united and practiced for a greater period of time, as well as presented in many different ways. Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences are key here. I remember reading that a student with learning disabilities need to hear and see information a significantly greater amount of times in order to learn it. Unfortunately, there is no magic number and in a traditional setting, not always the time and leeway to do this.

Our education system is also moving to push curricular skills at younger and younger ages. In Connecticut, the CMT is a key factor in how education has changed. Take a student with learning disabilities who needs those several years of skill building, but now require them to learn curriculum when they are not ready, and it is an unfortunate outcome.

I see how things can be different on a daily basis. I have worked in public schools, but now work at an independent school for students with learning disabilities and our focus is skills. We take the time on a daily basis in every subject, at recess, in the lunch room, and even during sports and activities to build those skills. They do hear, see, and do a great number of times to foster the potential they have as learners. There is no defined timeline in which we do this, as each learner is different. However, they do find themselves and the skills that have been locked up. They are learners, but we try all the bags of tricks and then find some more...we try and walk away, then try again....until they find the success within them. It is an ideal setting for these learners, and I am reminded to day after spending about a month off and on with Google Apps, that it does come with patience, understanding, time and creativity.


No comments:

Post a Comment