Monday, August 29, 2011

Powerless Teacher

Irene...it has come and gone...leaving many without power...this got me thinking...

Can you teach without power?
In this day and age of technology, do you know how to teach with out it? As I have stated before, my school is on the slower side of implementing technology. However, the success we have with our students is solid. We could begin tomorrow with no power, and our students would be given the same learning environment as if the lights were on.


How to address skills and keep kids involved.
Think if you had to go into your class room to address skills and/or curriculum, could you do it seamlessly without the use of technology? I think technology is fabulous, I always adopt the latest and greatest. However, in my classroom, I am much more disconnected. I use flashcards, hands on manipulatives, games, and books. Last year the device I used most was a document camera and a projector. My students were still involved with interactive learning by file folder games, flashcard sorting, word sorts courtesy of Words Their Way, and writing on their desks with dry erase markers. My students love to throw a squishy brain in a box after reading a word, or throw a sticky ball at a target on the board after solving a math problem...they are engaged and attentive with these activities. Two years ago my literature class loved building a log cabin out of popsicle sticks and clay for a Sign of the Beaver project. I had one student even bring in Lego figures to add in. For fluency, teachers have kids read using "phones" made from pvc piping to hear themselves and our older students make great book report projects using poster board that astound me with creativity. No technology needed.

How much is too much?
Technology provides us with many great avenues to address learning. However, can we become too reliant and forget what teaching can be without it. If you had to go into your classroom tomorrow with no power, could you teach your class with the same finesse and success?
I will be training teachers on developing Smartboard lessons this year...but I will caution them to realize that they are still awesome teachers without it and that the kids are not learning or engaged any less with out it.


1 comment:

  1. You raise such good points! I remember thinking during the various budget debates through the years that fine facilities and the latest technology are good, but nothing can take the place of a talented, supportive, teacher. My sister taught kindergarten for only three years, but just ran into one of her charges - now married with children - and he recognized her across a crowded room, dragged his wife over to meet her, said,"I can't wait to tell Mom I saw you!" I just reconnected with my third grade teacher - 48 years later(!!!!!), a woman who truly gave me joy in learning. I am excited about reading your blog because I know what an amazing teacher you are and the differnce you make in kids' lives! Xo, Lea

    ReplyDelete